George Washington High School Participatory Budgeting
Let’s raise $2,000 for George Washington!
George Washington High School in Philadelphia, PA is launching its first Participatory Budgeting program. The seed funding is $1,000 from the FirstRoot School Fund. We have received a $1,000 contribution from a generous donor. Stripe’s processing fees cost us $29.30, bringing our total to $1,970.70.
Can you help us push this to $2,000?
The program is being managed by the amazing Michele Sorkin-Socki, M.Ed – Class Sponsor Class of 2022 and 2023, Varsity Cheerleading/Competitive Spirit Coach, Yearbook Advisor, Graduation Coordinator, Peer Group Connection Leader/Peer Mediation Mentor, and Case Manager!
We’re very excited to support George Washington’s first PB cycle!
Philadelphia is one of the oldest municipalities in the United States. A champion of democracy, Philadelphia played an instrumental role in the American Revolution as a meeting place for the Founding Fathers of the United States, who signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776 at the Second Continental Congress, and the Constitution at the Philadelphia Convention of 1787.
Sponsoring the Participatory Budgeting program helps students:
- Experience democracy in action by them with concrete evidence of the benefits of voting and getting involved!
- Engage in all aspects of design thinking as they create, refine, vote, and fund proposals
- Strengthen the school community by creating alignment and positive interactions among all stakeholders: students, teachers, parents, and administrators
- Create self-confidence and civic pride as their proposals are implemented
- Develop financial literacy skills, including budgeting and financial planning
You should know this about your contribution:
- While FirstRoot will manage the funds, the students will determine how the funds are spent
- Contributions are not tax deductible
- Contributions are not refundable
- Stripe charges a small processing fee to manage transactions
- If the program is cancelled your contribution will be applied to a different school
- Unless you tell us otherwise, we reserve the right to list your name as a contributor and the amount you contributed